[PD] expr compatibility with libdir format

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 22:52:23 CEST 2014

Hi list,
It seems expr isn't compatible with the libdir format.  The code in expr_new of vexp_if.c checks for unprefixed creator names, so if the user typed "expr~/expr~" or "extra/expr~" or even "the_libdir_that_I_put_in_my_patch_directory/expr~", the logic defaults to creating an expr_class instead of an expr_tilde_class.  It also outputs an error.

Also, the error it outputs has a bug itself-- there is no corresponding variable for the %s in this line:
                post("expr_new: bad object name '%s'");

That will often cause a crash on 32-bit systems.  I wasn't able to crash on a 64-bit system, although that %s will output a bunch of garbage characters to the Pd window.

Obviously expr (and probably a lot of other code) expect the creator to be the same as what the class author specified in the setup routine.  So Pd should deliver that symbol without the libdir prefix to the *_new function for that class.

I tested on Pd 0.43 from Sourceforge on a 32-bit Wheezy machine, plus Pd-l2ork which forked at 0.42.  Has Pd Vanilla addressed this problem since then?

-Jonathan