[PD] expr compatibility with libdir format

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 12 23:57:58 CEST 2014

Hi Miller,
There's also the separate bug about the %s not having a corresponding variable.  I fixed it in Pd-l2ork and put a patch on the tracker, but I'm not sure where expr~ upstream actually resides.

Also, do note that there is probably a discrepancy between what the loader is willing to try to load, and what a class is willing to do inside the *_new function.  In my test, Pd's loader has no problem with Pd-extended's 0.43 "extra/expr~". But as far as expr_new is concerned, it doesn't recognize that string.  Yet it also defaults to creating an [expr] object instead of bailing.

I think an error inside *_new should end in a broken object, or at the least should warn the user what class it is defaulting to.

Furthermore, I can't see a use case for the loader sending the full or libdir path as part of the symbol.  Is there one?  Expr as well as a lot of internal objects assume an unprefixed creator name.  If Hans or someone else actually ships a Pd-extended with a separate "vanilla" libdir, expect to see a bunch of unnecessary breakage for no apparent gain.

-Jonathan