[PD] Looking for research in amplitude envelopes of music instruments during performance.

Rich Eakin rtepub at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 16:49:35 CET 2014

On Fri, Nov 7, 2014 at 12:27 PM, <anders.vinjar at bek.no> wrote:

>     R> What I'd like to find is more how the ADSR curves look for actual
>     R> musical phrases.
>
> Hi Rich.
>
> Bill Schottstaedt set up a wonderful hands-on about extracting envelopes
> (amp, pitch) from recordings of birdsongs, getting great results in the
> synthesis:
>
>   https://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/snd/snd/sndscm.html#animalsdoc
>
> I've used the same approach on recordings of more complex natural
> environments, but the method would be useful for recordings of notes or
> phrases played on musical instruments.

Thanks! It's nice to see how this is done with CLM, and a reminder of how
involved the process is before jumping into it. :) And its even more
involved if you can't get the target source isolated beforehand (as is the
case of most of the sounds I'd like to transcribe).

I searched the IRCAM archives, though unfortunately looking for 'envelope'
tends to produce things related to spectral envelopes, not what I'm
addressing at the moment.

I'd like to ask that if others wish to debate the philisophical merits of
computer versus human music performance, please start a new thread. :)

cheers,
Rich