[PD] Approaches to "show control" platforms

João Martins joaomartins at mac.com
Thu Nov 13 11:10:09 CET 2014

Hi there, list!

Besides using PD for sound design and programming/composition tools, I've
always thought it could be a great platform for "show control", replacing
commercial apps like Qlab and others. For those of you who are not familiar
with this sort of tools, they are built to streamline the process of
"cueing" a performance (theater is my main focus).
Cues can be playing, pausing, fading in or out given audio files
(and panning, filtering, etc), sending out DMX or MIDI signal for light
consoles, as well as playing, pausing, fading in or out given video files.
Live video and audio are also possibilities.
Each function is apparently simple to implement and I've used some
experimental patches in shows of my own, but I've met some resistance from
"conventional" technicians. Some testing with Qlab, has led me to the
conclusion that a Pd solution could be built and useful, but it would need
a simpler GUI for the final control aspects, to resemble as close as
possible existing paradigms (some sort of hybrid between an audio mixing
board and the normal controls on a CD/audio player, the cueing principles
of lighting systems and existing video mixing consoles).
A modular system would be perfect for this, and I'm trying to figure out
how to start.
With such a broad community of users, I'm sure some attempts at this have
already been made and I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel.
So, if any of you can point me to existing projects with similar features
and objectives I'd appreciate it and try to contribute as best as I can.

Thank you all,

João Martins

--
João Pedro Martins