[PD] data structure setsize allocation

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 14 21:39:28 CET 2014

On 11/11/2014 10:47 AM, jamal crawford wrote:
> hello list, Jonathan,
>
>> The fun comes when using the "canvas foo bar" field in a template for an array field-- then I can use [setsize] to create a massive > number of abstractions at once.
> quite massive approach! big up for the thought. would you kindly
> demonstrate this with a patch?
> massive thanks in advance
> best regs
> .jc
> nse"

I started looking at solutions to do a screen cast.  Then I remembered
I'd be screencasting a low-latency audio program under Linux, with
Debian Wheezy's out-of-date video libs, using a sound server which
proclaims that very low latency like Pd's is out-of-scope.  On the other
hand, I can capture video-only just by clicking four buttons on the
keyboard...

So here's a video-only demo of a quick pendulum game being created in Pd:
http://www.jonathanwilkes.net/pendulum.webm

Without audio a "canvas" field demo doesn't make much sense.  But it's
worth pointing out that once I figure out how to get the canvas field to
talk to the associated scalar, it would be possible to put most of the
above demo's code inside a canvas field.  That would mean that each
[pendulum] you create would have a canvas that controls its animation
and interactivity, independent of the others.

Also, when you see me clicking the [bng] (or the [vsl]) in the demo to
turn the pendulum red, Pd is reacting to the sound of my mouse button
clicking.  When the mouse isn't clicking but the pendulum still turns
red, that's me yelling "ka!" at a moment when the pendulum is between -5
and 5 degrees rotation.

-Jonathan