[PD] Approaches to "show control" platforms

Alexandre Quessy alexandre at quessy.net
Sun Nov 16 18:06:07 CET 2014

Hello everyone,
I am very interested in show control, and I have been dreaming about
developing a complete set of open source show control software since years.

I think that Pd could be part of a backend, but it lacks some features of a
sturdy "real" programming language. Namely: a unit testing framework,
multi-threading, etc.

I think that the ideal GUI for a show control application should be
Web-based. It would allow it to be distributed. I have already done such
distributed Web GUI applications in the past. I am very satisfied with it!

I am not sure how we could find some money to develop such a set of tools,
but please let me know if anyone is interested in thinking about this
seriously. Let's start a mailing list and get our brain thinking and our
hands writing code!

Best,

> Le 13/11/2014 11:10, João Martins a écrit :
>
>> Hi there, list!
>>
>> Besides using PD for sound design and programming/composition tools, I've
>> always thought it could be a great platform for "show control", replacing
>> commercial apps like Qlab and others. For those of you who are not familiar
>> with this sort of tools, they are built to streamline the process of
>> "cueing" a performance (theater is my main focus).
>> Cues can be playing, pausing, fading in or out given audio files (and
>> panning, filtering, etc), sending out DMX or MIDI signal for light
>> consoles, as well as playing, pausing, fading in or out given video files.
>> Live video and audio are also possibilities.
>> Each function is apparently simple to implement and I've used some
>> experimental patches in shows of my own, but I've met some resistance from
>> "conventional" technicians. Some testing with Qlab, has led me to the
>> conclusion that a Pd solution could be built and useful, but it would need
>> a simpler GUI for the final control aspects, to resemble as close as
>> possible existing paradigms (some sort of hybrid between an audio mixing
>> board and the normal controls on a CD/audio player, the cueing principles
>> of lighting systems and existing video mixing consoles).
>> A modular system would be perfect for this, and I'm trying to figure out
>> how to start.
>> With such a broad community of users, I'm sure some attempts at this have
>> already been made and I'm not interested in reinventing the wheel.
>> So, if any of you can point me to existing projects with similar features
>> and objectives I'd appreciate it and try to contribute as best as I can.
>>
>>  you can have a look at my "linear cue system"
>
> http://www.chnry.net/ch/?094-Linear-cue-system&lang=en
>
> nothing special, but it fit my needs.
>
> cheers
>

>  Thank you all,