[PD] Approaches to "show control" platforms

Stephen Lucas s9lucas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 07:57:17 CET 2014

We've been very interested in implementing a custom show runner with a
focus on making cues for reliable routing of multichannel audio and
multichannel video. I built a player in Max6 to get 3ch video 2ch audio for
somebody's show and it ran pretty well. However, when trying to implement
the same code for a piece that relied on having very consistent, very
smooth HD video, we couldn't maintain a consistent framerate. Ultimately,
we used QLab, but we'd prefer to not need their expensive licenses.

I'd be interested to know benchmarks for multichannel audio and HD video
playback using Pd/GEM. We hadn't investigated it since I assumed Jitter
rendering to GPU with HAP should be better than what GEM can do, but I
would be ecstatic to go to Pd for this if the playback performance was good.

Thanks,
-Stephen