[PD] [OT] : synchrnized video player on Pi

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 14:58:04 CET 2014

On 19/11/14 21:16, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> I was speaking about that : https://github.com/turingmachine/omxplayer-sync
> Basically it's a modified version of omxplayer that streams the playhead
> position to DBus with high accuracy and a Python script send this position
> from master to slaves, then the slave's script adjust playback speed to
> reach the master position

that looks very interesting .... that means pd can get that position also.

A few improvements to the way I was doing it, a bit more info about omxplayer. I
should be able to simplify the connection and do a bit more within the external,
then make a master and slave version of the external.

will certainly look into it further, the omxplayer code has been a bit daunting
so I stayed with using what I knew was available in the standard omxplayer
first, to at least get that running. That is done, so I'll push it a bit further.

> It's used in http://www.pocketvj.com

they have more interface details, so that is useful too.

> I also found this : https://github.com/feanil/raspi-video-sync
> Based on GStreamer but I didn't test.

>> I would be curious to see this the code for this solution.
>>
>> You can use GStreamer with some backend such as Clutter, or GTK+. They
>> work very well. That requires a bit of coding, of course. I have a few of
>> them under my Github user aalex. VLC is another higher-level option. (it's
>> highly scriptable)

I haven't gone down the higher level options, mostly because I also want to add
more low level stuff ... I have a basic player which I can map, do alpha layers
etc but it is very limited re codecs and containers etc, and am hoping
eventually to get something .

But maybe GStreamer is a better option for that?? I am not at all familiar with it.

I'll post my work-in-progress stuff and have a look at your github in the next
couple of days.

Simon