[PD] Artikulation - datastructures

Julian Brooks jbeezez at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 10:35:40 CET 2014

There is a fairly long-standing tradition of graphic scores made,
post-copmosition, of electronic music - standard practice in
Electroacoustic tuition for example.

Yet there still isn't much around that makes the auditory/visual connection
explicit (Xenakis' UPIC and its derivatives being one of the classic
examples).

For those interested in notational aspects and approaches within electronic
music just the idea itself of data structures is hugely stimulating - you
could even go so far to state that it's somewhat of a 'holy grail'.

I'm interested in data structures precisely because they don't work so well
- it's a worthwhile problem.  The now well-worn, almost clichéd story that
DS's were one of the major original impetuses for Pd's existence, and 20
years later they're still a work in progress, I think shows that this shit
ain't easy.

Hans' DS composition from a few years back has travelled far and wide (it's
in one of the classic recent books on graphic scores - on the front cover
even!) so it's a shame that there's not much else to show for them in
recent years.

Ligeti rocks btw, proper hardcore.

Regards,

Julian