[PD] Raspberry Pi & pd 0.46 with real time priority

Miller Puckette msp at ucsd.edu
Tue Dec 9 17:48:01 CET 2014

Aha - I just tried Pd on a pi with recent raspian and... problems.  I'm in
the middle of waiting for a new compilation but I _think_ there are 2
problems happening at once:  first off, priority 98 (which Pd's watchdog
asks for) seems to be reserved for root.  I was able to get priority 96 with
no problem.  It looked like I had to either add the usual lines to
/etc/security/limits.conf:

* - rtprio 99
* - memlock 1000000000

(that's very permissive) or do the following:

chgrp audio pd/bin/pd pd/bin/pd-watchdog
chmod 2755 pd/bin/pd pd/bin/pd-watchdog

AND do one of the following: change the Pd source code, s_inter.c:

#ifdef USEAPI_JACK
    p3 = (higher ? p1 + 7 : p1 + 5);
#else
    p3 = (higher ? p2 - 1 : p2 - 3);
#endif

to just:

    p3 = (higher ? p1 + 7 : p1 + 5);

(I still have to think about what level is really appropriate)

OR just compile with JACK support - that's why the "debs" worked, I think.
With JACK support Pd asks for a lower RT priority that the pi is willing to
give it.

More later...

Miller