[PD] Cyclone suite initiative

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 11 02:53:03 CET 2014

Keep in mind that even with the perfect design, you'd still be packaging a lot of binaries that would read like this to the user:douglib - library of binaries written by a guy named doug
-Jonathan

     On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 7:09 PM, Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com> wrote:

 On 06/12/14 20:53, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:

> The other main distribution tool is rpm. It might be interesting to know
> how much of the "Linux-market" uses either deb or rpm.

perhaps more interesting ... how much of the multimedia producer and pd
developer community uses linux which is neither deb based nor source based like
gentoo, and also isn't a multimedia distribution which includes pd packages. My
guess would be that a lot of the remainder would be using fedora in the context
of an institution, have IT support and a standard institution wide install.

Alien will translate to rpm format if you wish, and of course the debian
repository has complete sources and build systems for the packages and all their
dependencies (and better than daily builds alongside the dependencies, on many
hardware and kernel combinations). Alien translates both ways. there is a debian
package available, and it seems available for rpm based systems also .. see
http://joeyh.name/code/alien/

> For Windows and OSX, there is no ready made solution yet. But other
> software packages have a cross-platform package distribution system; the
> examples I know are perl (ActiveState) and cygwin. But is probably not
> trival to build or adapt something for Pd.

a packaging system is a long long way from easy, somethinng that does what
debian does is a truly vast undertaking ... unless within the context of some
bigger packaging system then your only choice is source distribution, with
pre-built binaries with the most generic options for the most common platforms
... which is what pd has available now. Keeping all the external libraries built
is a huge task, l2ork picks a most common and useful set, and distributes them
directly ... but they are linux users and only have resources for doing so for
linux (they have said they would welcome any efforts from the other user
communities to build for their platforms), pd-extended is a valiant attempt to
cater for more, it is a huge and cumbersome system because of that ... while
there is a lot of interest in downloading binaries for Windows and OSX there is
generally almost no interest from those communities in actually doing the work
to prepare and make available those binaries.

Simon