[PD] butterworth/chebyshev/etc in biquad?

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 03:50:44 CET 2014

So I've been reading all day about this and this is what my intuition tells
me:

the filters from the objetcs I mentioned ([lop~], [hip~], [bp~], [lores~] &
[reson~]) and the ones described at "Cookbook formulae for audio EQ biquad
filter coefficients" are not butterworth/chebyshev/eliptic/bessel/etc.
They're just what they are.

Seems these filter topologies are some special cases that don't apply to
these more general filters.

Does anyone back this up?

Moreover... I've figured out how to work with butterworth filters. I had
the wrong impression you could start from a second order filter and cascade
it a few times to achieve higher order filters, but that's not the way it
is.

thanks