[PD] [Bulk] Extending Vanilla (was Cyclone help patches & issue list)

Samuel Burt composer.samuel.burt at gmail.com
Thu Dec 18 20:16:54 CET 2014

I'm with you, Alessio.

As another user of Pd who has sometimes been paid in the past to make
drop-and-go patches for others, if this community were to develop a
repository-style way to load libraries into vanilla, I'd like to see it
work like Java.

1. Opening a patch with [import cyclone] would automatically download the
cyclone library from Pd vanilla's extended library database if it wasn't
already installed.
2. Pd would first check inside the folder where the patch is saved before
fetching cyclone from the repository. (This might help with legacy versions
of libraries?)
3. There could be an option when saving a patch to save referenced
libraries in the patch folder so novices don't have to go sorting through
library files to find the cyclone file to copy to their folder.

I know 1 is significantly different behavior than how [import] currently
works. I just believe that Pd should be simple for a non-Pd programmer to
download and run a patch. This would assist greatly with that.

Sam