[PD] [env~] issues

Raphaƫl Ilias phae.ilias at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 17:11:38 CET 2014

> >I'm surprised about this "double bang", but I suppose this means "do
> compute one audio block and only one" (here 1024 samples).
>
> actually, i have NO idea why i needed to do the double bang.  For some
> weird reason, a single bang was triggering the [switch~], but then the next
> bang did nothing.  Only every second bang was triggering.  So, i used [t b
> b] just to send 2 bangs and trigger every time.
>
> if you remove one cable from one outlet of the [t b b], you will see what
> i mean.
>
> not sure if there's a bug in the implementation, or what, but yeah...seems
> weird.

yes, i tried to use your trick using only one bang, and behavior was *not
always* the same (sometimes seemed not switching...
however, i use the following and it works for me :

[bang~]

[del 0]

[0 (    [1 (
 [     /
[switch~]

clicking the [1 ( computes one block and then DSP get switched off by
[bang~]

> >I wonder if switching the DSP off does mess up with overlapping (as i
> understand "overlapping with previous audio block").
>
>  sorry, i don't actually know how the overlap is implemented, but I did
> some trial and error tests, sending various signals through the switched
> off subpatch, and through a subpatch with no [switch~] object.   The
> outputs of each [env~] in the different subpatches seems to be the same.

yes i'm curious too...
let's say i want to get the RMS amplitude of a 2048-samples "grain" of
audio.
if i use [env~ 2048] however i'm using a 2048-samples window length in
argument, i get two RMS amplitude results spaced by 1024 samples. so i'm
sitting there and wondering : am looking to the RMS amplitude of first and
second half of my 2048 samples ?