[PD] [Bulk] Extending Vanilla (was Cyclone help patches & issue list)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 20 23:41:59 CET 2014

On 12/20/2014 05:06 PM, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
> On 2014-12-20 22:38, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
>> Is the idea to package an entire packaging system with Pd Vanilla?
> For me the focus is now to create a sort of versionable, installable
> package for cyclone*. But it could well apply to much more. A possible
> structure could consist of several packages; pd-vanilla as core,
> depending on it a ring of libraries making it an 'almost Max/MSP clone'
> and a set of 'special-interest' libraries for those that want it.

But there is already infrastructure for building a monolithic
distribution called Pd-extended, and no infrastructure for doing a
user-friendly a la carte package delivery system for Pd.

What are the cases where a user who wants an a la carte package system
couldn't just get by with a monolithic distribution like Pd-extended?

> I am happy to see there is an apt-get of sorts for all essential
> non-linux platforms. There is still a lot of work to do, but we as
> pd-community with limited resources don't have to 'build it from scratch'.

Let's say I'm a new user.  My friend sends me a patch he/she downloaded
from Pd forum that does something neat.  It depends on ggee, moonlib,
and cyclone.

Using Pd-extended, I download/install Pd-extended and run the patch
(without having to know, care, or understand about those libraries).

What steps would be required to run the same patch using the structure
you describe above?

-Jonathan