[PD] [Bulk] Extending Vanilla (was Cyclone help patches & issue list)

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 21 12:02:33 CET 2014

On 2014-12-20 23:41, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> On 12/20/2014 05:06 PM, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
>> On 2014-12-20 22:38, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
>>> Is the idea to package an entire packaging system with Pd Vanilla?
>> For me the focus is now to create a sort of versionable, installable
>> package for cyclone*. But it could well apply to much more. A possible
>> structure could consist of several packages; pd-vanilla as core,
>> depending on it a ring of libraries making it an 'almost Max/MSP clone'
>> and a set of 'special-interest' libraries for those that want it.
>
> But there is already infrastructure for building a monolithic
> distribution called Pd-extended, and no infrastructure for doing a
> user-friendly a la carte package delivery system for Pd.
>
> What are the cases where a user who wants an a la carte package system
> couldn't just get by with a monolithic distribution like Pd-extended?

The distribution ideas are just an attempt to simplify the current
Pd-extended configuration and split the more general purpose libraries
from the special interest ones. The core and general purpose libraries
is nick-named here as 'Max/MSP-clone'.

Quite another issue is to split pd-extended into a repository for each
package. Someone making a distribution can still pick the latest or more
stable version of each library for a distribution package. The current
Pd-extended all-in-one is just the 'complete' package.

>> I am happy to see there is an apt-get of sorts for all essential
>> non-linux platforms. There is still a lot of work to do, but we as
>> pd-community with limited resources don't have to 'build it from
>> scratch'.
>
> Let's say I'm a new user.  My friend sends me a patch he/she downloaded
> from Pd forum that does something neat.  It depends on ggee, moonlib,
> and cyclone.
>
> Using Pd-extended, I download/install Pd-extended and run the patch
> (without having to know, care, or understand about those libraries).
>
> What steps would be required to run the same patch using the structure
> you describe above?

Without knowing the exact nature of the ggee or moonlib libraries, by
name the objects look general purpose and could be part of a
'Max/MSP-clone' distribution*. The core could be pd-extended-core,
pd-l2ork-core or pd-vanilla, but the latter two are preferred because
they are currently maintained.

*) Assuming they are stable, working and preferably maintained.

So for this example, the 'Max-MSP-clone'-distribution should be
downloaded and installed. For Linux this could be a meta package
installing the libraries it depends on. For Windows and MacOSX,
depending on platform conventions, probably one package containing the
core and all libraries.

> -Jonathan

Fred Jan