[PD] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Extending Vanilla (was Cyclone help patches & issue list)

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 22 08:55:48 CET 2014

Unless you want an enormous number of patches in the wild to bit-rot, you're going to have a "Install Pd-extended libraries" button.  If you have that button, then presumably at least _one_ person is going to need to build and test the whole enchilada, no?
Btw-- are there poisonous spiders lurking in the Pd-extended makefiles?  Just reading this thread and seeing alternatives like "let's just port apt to some proprietary OSes" seems odd to me...
So I guess I'll add my own idea to this mix: how about replacing every single external binary with an abstraction?  Then the external libs become portable without having to compile a single thing.  Plus any Pd user willing to click the object can potentially fix bugs or make improvements.  Sure, you can't do Gem and some of the fancy stuff, but those are details.  This would also increase the incentives for doing development to the core which makes abstractions faster.

-Jonathan