[PD] Loading a big image

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 18:34:34 CET 2014

On 23/12/14 17:18, xä wrote:
> hi list,
>
> I have to load a huge image of about 23000 pixels x 700 pixels in order to
> be as a landscape image scrolling in slow motion with a certain time
> sequencer.

That's too big for most graphics cards.  Not sure if there is a way in
Gem to query the maximum texture dimensions, but in C you'd use proxy
targets for glTexImage2D.  Typically textures go up to 8192 or another
nearby power of two in each dimension.

> I m testing with pix_image and pix_multiimage but seems to load only a
> fragment of the image about 1000pixels (horizontal) cropping and not
> rendering the rest.

Split it into vertical slices and display them on a lot of quads.  You
might have to be tricky with pixel positioning to avoid seams. I did
this once in gridflow, don't know where the patch is though (6 years ago
at least) - so maybe you could try the gridflow/Gem bridge if it hasn't
bitrotted too hard.

> (the size of the image is about 1.2M in jpg)

That's irrelevant, it's decompressed before you put it in video memory.

Claude

http://mathr.co.uk