[PD] Android smartphone suggestion

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 19:38:29 CET 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM, João Pais <jmmmpais at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I might be getting a smartphone soon. I wanted to ask what are the most
> interesting models around. Afaik, more relevant for me would be:
> - android
> - multitouch
> - big/sturdy enough to use as a controller
> - usability to connect with Pd, or upload pd-based apps (compatiblity with
> the existing pd-mobile solutions out there)
> - durability
> - ...
>
> I never had a smartphone, so I don't really know much about the options out
> there. I would prefer something I could use with Pd, and also to keep me
> busy for a few years.
> Also, which OS is best by now?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jmmmp

My two cents on android phones: the carrier software is almost always
terrible.  You want to pick the hardware and the carrier network, then
completely replace the software before getting started with your audio
and controller apps.  Most phones will fit the basic constraints you
mention--you really want to choose the carrier+hardware combination
from what's available to you locally.

HTC and Motorola (maybe others?) have the means for you to
legitimately unlock your bootloader, remove the carrier software, and
load a custom ROM.  HTC and Motorola will tell you which models are
supported for this.  HTC (unlocking your bootloader does not void your
warranty on supported phones): http://www.htcdev.com/bootloader/
Motorola (unlocking supported but voids warranty):
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/87215

You won't find much good information comparing your choices for
ROMS--it's just a matter of experimentation and depends heavily on
hardware choice.  The place to do your basic research and later get
the software to setup your phone is http://forum.xda-developers.com/

I know that's a lot of work up front--but it's worth it to have a lean
base install that won't drain your battery, overheat, and send
obnoxious info to services you don't want.

My HTC ONE (M7) is much better running KandyKat in terms of battery
life and useability.  I've had two HTC phones which I've hacked and
put new roms on, and I'm very happy with both.  I also have a Motorola
phone that I was not able to hack.