[PD] future PD-extended development

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 07:39:16 CET 2015

On 24/12/14 01:27, Dan Wilcox wrote:

> Also, a simple option to continue extended would be a new “Pd-extended” that
> is basically Miller’s current Pd vanilla binary with precompiled externals in
> the /extra folder. This is what I currently use, a few of the precompiled
> externals from the last version of Pd-extended with Miller’s latest version.
> If what most people want are the new features of vanilla with GEM and a few
> set of other externals, then we can do that now if it’s much easier to build
> those externals without downloading the massive SVN. I have a script which
> does this on Linux for my UDOO board setup so I have the 9-10 externals my
> old song patch set requires. This is similar to aforementioned idea of
> providding all the commonly used externals in one precompiled download.

Currently many of the externals in extended are already built as debian packages
to run with pd-vanilla (since it is vanilla rather than extended that is in
debian). They are built using the present build system from the present
repository, they are built and tested against recent versions of pd-vanilla and
their dependencies in sid ... maybe that is a good start? It may make sense to
extend the build system to build those externals for other OSes using the same
repository, then offer them for download separately as binaries. The libdir
package allows use of the libdir system in vanilla to simplify the installation.

Simon