[PD] Fwd: raspberry pi and logitech c920 webcam

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 16:07:03 CET 2015

On 04/02/15 21:20, Julian Brooks wrote:
> Hello,
>
> RPi currently cannot run opengl (only opengl es) which is required for GEM,
> so afaict no GEM on the RPi currently.

you can't get video into GEM (yet), I have managed to control playback, overlays
and mapping from within pd with some very messy scripting and mucking around
with the sample programs in C, but so far it is all one-off hacks for particular
tasks. The first more generally useful outcome is a pd external that talks to
omxplayer via dbus, allowing much better timing and volume control, it is
working for an exhibition that opens shortly ... and I am currently trying to
get the player rendering to a texture as my next step... which will then be able
to be moved around, layered etc, and properly wrapped up as an external.

A big limitation is the resolution ... 1080p can have one layer (only just), but
it is looking like once I get rid of as much of the overhead as possible,
putting as much as possible into pd externals, then two layers of 720p (which is
plenty good enough for most projectors) should be possible. Dropping the
resolution further will give much more flexibility, and is fine for lots of
material.

But it is slow work for me, I'm learning a lot in the process.

Simon