[PD] is /etc/rc.local the script that runs on boot?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Feb 6 15:38:52 CET 2015

On 02/06/2015 01:58 PM, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Simon Wise <simonzwise at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> rc.local runs as root ... to launch pd use:
>>
>> sudo -u pi -i pd -nogui -noaudio -nomidi /share/master.pd &
>>
> I don't get the /share/master.pd what is it supposed to do in this command?

it's the patch that gets loaded.

>> or similar, here pi is the user, the & means pd runs in the background.
>>
>> I usually keep a script at /share/initialise then call it as user pi, it
>> makes it a lot easier to keep different projects ans swap between them.
>>
> there's no /share/initialise file or directory... should I create it? And

afaict, simon gave you a description of his setup.
the FHS does not mandate (or mention) a /share/initialize file (nor
directory), i assume that this is simon's "invention".

what he bsaically tells you is:
- use a separate script to actually start Pd with all the parameters and
patches. (probably you can even make that script be owned by your
ordinary user, so you can minimize the need to become root).
- call this script from within rc.local
- when calling the script (from rc.local), use a mechanism (sudo) to run
the script as your ordinary user (rather than root).

separating the tasks of "running as ordinary user" and "starting Pd"
makes it easier to get both things right (and not break one thing while
fixing the other)

running pd as an ordinary user minimizes the chances that it will bork
your system (remember that Pd was not written with security in mind)

gfmsar
IOhannes