[PD] is /etc/rc.local the script that runs on boot?

Simon Wise simonzwise at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 17:01:23 CET 2015

On 07/02/15 02:12, Antoine Villeret wrote:
> hi,
>
> in my case, I put my scripts in /etc/init.d and then make them run on boot
> with update-rc.d or insserv
> if I need to run them when plugin a USB device, I wrote a udev rules
> and if I need networking, I put my script in /etc/networking/if-up.d
> running a pd patch at startup that relies on network implies to check the
> network state inside Pd
> running the patch through if-up.d and stoping it with if-down is more
> robust to my eyes

that is a good way to do it .. and with a few scripts running as root then one
can automate loading all the required files for a project

but for me I find splitting the project files from the base is very important,
especially with varying machines that need different base systems (e.g. I need a
different OS for my B+ which is incompatible with my B models with audio cards)
and with several similar projects sharing a set of machines, or being swapped
into machines owned by other people on different continents. I would rather that
no project adds files outside the media folder /srv/ (which contains all
machine-specific data such as vids for a particular projector and the cues for
that projector) and the /share/ folder (which contains all the project specific
scripts, patches etc that are common to all machines in the project).

I try to make the project scripts robust, and to make it possible for the
artists I work with to do as much of the adjusting and maintenance as possible.

Antoine, re your audio-video sync question from November ... this code got me
close enough for what I needed, by loading the video paused then triggering
start via dbus is reasonably consistent, and a fixed short delay kept the audio
and video pretty close .. but I am now looking at a couple of modified
omxplayers, one that renders to texture and I will look at the omxplayer-sync
one also, I would prefer to use the clocking of the audio as the master, and get
the videos to stay in sync with that, and need the texture control as well in
future.

The omxplayer code is quite big, but I am starting to get a handle on it.

Simon