[PD] new raspberries

Chris Clepper cgclepper at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 20:49:23 CET 2015

In general, the ARM will do all sorts of things to keep energy usage to the
bare minimum:  Video decoding runs on dedicated DSP/GPU rather than the
main cores, parts of the cores are shutdown, RAM is put to sleep and so on.

Using -nosleep on a root process at elevated could defeat enough of the low
power safeguards as that is something an Android phone/tablet would never
do.  All of those devices have heatsinks just due to space constraints, and
Apple ran afoul of customers due to excessive heat on a dual A8 based iPad.

Without any heat treatment on top of the CPU most of the heat flows through
the PCB.  So in some cases the issue wouldn't be with the ARM but some
other part reaching its thermal limit (like a power regulator or RAM that
have to be physically close to the CPU).  The UDOO board's WiFi chip gets
hotter than the ARM heatsink for example.  Freescale recommend heat
spreaders and sinks for all of their iMX.6 parts although not all of the
low eval boards have them.

The Pi 2 doesn't have much thermal cooling on the chip and the RAM is
directly UNDER the CPU so the heat from both will largely go into the same
place PCB.  Maybe there is enough copper in the PCB to dissipate the heat,
but the thermal docs I have from Freescale say it's not possible to do for
a 5W+ quad A9.