[PD] meaning of delay(msec) and use callbacks in audio settings

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 16:34:59 CET 2015

Are you saying you want to get the latency that you perceive down to 4/10ms?  Or do you just want to get the latency setting in the preferences down to 4/10ms?

Unfortunately those are two very different things.
-Jonathan

     On Wednesday, February 18, 2015 10:11 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> wrote:

 >  I've seen really good setups get down to below 10ms (as low as 4)
what kind of setup? :) it'd be cool if we described some rigs here
cheers

  Basically these things have to do with performance.

 'Use callbacks' has to do with how Pd communicates with your soundcard. There are two options, using callbacks, and blocking. In the callbacks scenario, your computer processes samples then asks the sound card to 'call you back' when it's ready to receive those samples (i.e. when it is out of audio to play and needs some more). In the meantime, you can process more samples, or check out what's going on on CNN.com or whatever.

 In the blocking method the computer hands the samples to the soundcard by calling a function and if the sound card is not ready, it 'blocks' meaning it stops your function in its tracks until it is ready to receive the data. Your thread (Pd) will halt until the function that sends the audio has finished.

 Anybody out there, please correct me if I am spreading misinformation here, but this is my understanding of this distinction.

 Delay(msec) is a delay between logical time (when your computer computes the audio) and real time (when the sound comes out the speaker). You want to have some head room here. I've seen really good setups get down to below 10ms (as low as 4) without any glitches, but usually you want much more time ~50ms or so.

 On 2/17/2015 5:42 PM, Jonghyun Kim wrote:

 Fyi, I use jack on Linux for PD.  On Feb 18, 2015 8:16 AM, "Jonghyun Kim" <agitato816 at gmail.com> wrote:

 Hi list,
  I would like to know about some features in audio settings.
  I don't understand what mean these options.
  *Delay(msec)* and *Use callbacks*
  I googled these options, but still I don't understand. Is there some document about it?
  Thanks in advance, akntk