[PD] [Bulk] Re: automatically get chord from sequence of notes?

Alessio Degani alessio.degani at ymail.com
Fri Feb 20 18:20:58 CET 2015

On 20/02/2015 15:28, Rivoire David wrote:
> Yeah, but there is a link between this two topics, after having
> analysed the harmonics I would like to create a sequence of notes
> about it and automatically get chords that fit into it...
In general, this is not an "easy" task.
I'm currently working (research) on the audio chord estimation (ACE) topic.
For a "standard" song (polyphonic, poly-intrument) the accuracy is still
far from perfect (~75% of accuracy on a given, limited, test-set).

However, for a single instrument, you can achieve good results with a
simple template matching.
You can't work directly on the FFT, but from the FFT you have to
calculate a 12-dimensional mid-level descriptor (called Pitch Class
Profile).
Then you can train your chord templates using a specified instrument
(i.e. if you want to estimate piano chords, you have to train your
templates with your piano).

Cheers

--
a.