[PD] Smoothing midi control input ?

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Sun Feb 22 21:05:18 CET 2015

Dear list,

This is most likely a stupid question. I purchased an Akai midi (usb)
controller and started building a patch for it in Pd.
I tried a simple delay controlled (length) by one of the knobs on the Akai,
and I think I can hear the jumps between the different length values as I
turn the knob.

The input from the controller is first normalized to the delay line max
length, then passed to a [pack 0 20], then to a [line~], before affecting
the delay length. I thought the line would smooth the control input, but
apparently it's not. Are the 20 ms for the [line~] too short, or am I not
doing it the proper way ? I actually don't know what happens to line~ when
a new value is given to it before the 20 ms are over.

Thank you in advance.

Pierre.