[PD] knowing if there's anything connected to an [inlet~] in a subpatch or abstraction

Alexandros Drymonitis adrcki at gmail.com
Tue Feb 24 18:59:16 CET 2015

On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 7:52 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
wrote:

> "I think that even in the case of an external, it's difficult to know
> whether there's a signal connected to a signal inlet, or not (...) I
> think Eric Lyon's externals do what you want"
>
> I guess it can be tricky, but not impossible. I'd be really surprised and
> blown away if it turned out to be impossible.

I sent to the list about a year and a half ago, when I was writing some
externals, asking about this, and I remember Miller gave a suggestion,
saying it's not the most elegant but it might work. Can't remember what it
was, as I never used it, but if you search the list archives, you might
find it. Max has a routine that checks whether there's is a signal
connected to an inlet, and this way you can choose between the argument or
the incoming signal. But Pd doesn't have that afaik..

> And I guess it is actually impossible to work this out in a patch, huh? I
> wouldn't be surprised...

I'm pretty sure that yes, it's impossible. But it would be nice if someone
can prove us wrong here..