[PD] knowing if there's anything connected to an [inlet~] in a subpatch or abstraction

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 18:23:31 CET 2015

I'm actually interested in knowing whether there's a signal connected to
the inlet of an abstraction.

I need it so I can automatically switch between the argument loaded in the
abstraction and whatever is going to that inlet from a signal connection.

But I guess it is kinda impossible to it in a patch... so it may be only
possible as an external...

"*all of Pd's binops (e.g. [+~]) take an optional argument, and the type*

*of the second inlet depends on the existance of this argument (ifthere is
no argument, you get a signal inlet, if there is an argument**you get a
message inlet).*"

but is it possible to write an external with a different behaviour like I
need?

"*finally: i haven't looked at your abstraction, but i guess the problem*

*you are facing is to distinguish between no argument and the default"0"
argument. it's possible to do this as a vanilla abstraction. check**the
list archives for examples.*"

that seems like a separate issue, one that I actually care about, so I'll
maybe check it.

cheers