[PD] Gem render out of the screen (and v4l2loopback)

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Tue Mar 3 09:22:06 CET 2015

hello

Le 03/03/2015 00:58, Olivier Baudu a écrit :
> Hi list,
>
> Until now, and as far as I (think I) can remember, GEM was rendering frames even if the window (with or without border) was :
> - out of the screen
> - reduce in the tool-bar
> - hidden by an other window
>
> The last time I use this property was on an Ubuntu 13.10 both with "pd-vanilla + gem from the depot" and " pd-extended" (but I can't give you versions... because... well, I don't know them... sorry)
>
> On several different patches, I recorded GEM content (which was not display on my desktop because of "offset" option) with the combo [pix_record] / v4l2loopback in order to make a "fake webcam" to stream.
> It was working.
> It is still working on computers where those patches where installed.
>
> Now, I am on Ubuntu 14.04 / GEM: 0.93.3 and if anything is put over the GEM content, it seems to be that none of the pixel "under" is rendered.
>
> If I open the v4l2loopback device on VLC (or whatever) and hide part of the GEM window (even by dragging icons from my desktop), those parts are not refresh anymore.
>
> Does GEM change its way to render ?
yes, but only recently, 93.3 is unafected.

> Is the Ubuntu 14.04 display different ?
certainly. at least drivers are more optimized.

> Do I misunderstood something ?
rendering in a windows created out of the screen is not a good solution.
Gem prodive framebuffer rendering.
have a look the gemframebuffer help : this object allow to render anything in a framebuffer, and use this framebuffer as a texture. pix_snap can get back the pixel etc.

cheers