[PD] VLC 2.1.x and Gem

Etienne Landon landon.etienne at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 20:29:36 CET 2015

Hi list,

I want to get web camera streams into Gem, with different streaming formats
(mainly http and rtmp). VLC plugin seems like the perfect way to handle
that, but I can't get it to work with Gem.
I know pdgst could be a solution but vlc has the advantage that I could
handle any stream type the same way (where gst needs a different pipe).

On Mint17 and Ubuntu 14.04 Gem crashes with segfault as soon as I try to
open anything with VLC (like |driver vlc, screen://(  )
Both use vlc 2.1.4, I also tried 2.1.6 (vlc stable-daily ppa), same
behaviour.
Having seen this thread <http://sourceforge.net/p/pd-gem/bugs/211/>, I
tried the symlink removal without success, so made a gdb backtrace
(attached with this message, usefull information are in the last lines)
Config for this backtrace is :
Freshly installed, updated Ubuntu 14.04.1
VLC 2.1.4
pd-extended 0.43.4
Gem 0.93.git 374f713 freshly compiled

I had success regarding VLC and Gem on Ubuntu 13.10, which uses vlc 2.0.8.
But with that vlc version, my stream is really long to start and stops
after one minute or so. VLC behaviour between 2.0.8 and 2.1.4 regarding
rtmp looks very different, in vlc 2.1.x changelog they say "New RTMP input
module, using libavformat!", which might explain that (seems that it was
ffmpeg before).

Has anyone successfully compiled vlc plugin for gem with recent vlc version
? Or any idea what other solution I could try ?