[PD] maximum "control rate" in Pd

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Thu Mar 12 08:33:33 CET 2015

hello,

Le 12/03/2015 06:37, Alexandre Torres Porres a écrit :
> Hi, I'm wondering about what's the maximum control rate that Pd can work for managing control data.
control data are computed between every audio block.
using the default audio block size (64 sample), at 48KHz, a audio block represent 1.27ms
but you can reduce audio block size and increase audio frequency to get faster data rate.

> I guess this may differ for different objects, but thre may be a general rule I guess.
>
> By the way, I see metro doesn't seem to bang in times that are less than 1 ms, right?
it did work with higher frequency, but there is a bit of jitter in the data frequency.

here is the time (computed with the [realtime] object) between bangs generated by a metro 0.5 using a 256 sample block size at 48KH (5.33ms between audio block)
print: 5.137
print: 0.001
print: 0.001
print: 0.079
print: 0
print: 0.04
print: 0
print: 0
print: 0.038
print: 0.001
print: 0
print: 5.132
print: 0.001
print: 0.079
print: 0.001
print: 0
print: 0.046
print: 0
print: 0.001
print: 0.035
print: 0

about 10 bangs are generated between 2 audio block.

> curiously, [line] seems to be able to run at no limits, exceeding audio rate, if that's possible.
same as metro.

cheers