[PD] maximum "control rate" in Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 22:18:38 CET 2015

On Don, 2015-03-12 at 11:41 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> ok, so the metro at 1ms is because I'm using extended.
>

> as for the minimum time pd can process and send data, what's the final
> word on it?

As I said, for logical time it is the smallest number representable in
Pd. In practice, you would never be able to run something that fast for
long period (say, 1 second) of time, because your CPU most likely
wouldn't be fast enough.

> something like 1.4013e-45 ms?
>

> cause that's a lot more than an audio rate at 44.1khz :)
>

> I thought there was a limit control rate that was below the audio
> rate, but curiously it can go over.

That is what I'm trying to say since - I don't know - at least three
posts.

> 1 sample at 44.1khz gives us 0.0226757 ms, and I was able to send
> bangs at 1e-06 ms, according to [timer]

> check my patch attached, based on the one that was sent here on the
> thread.

[timer] shows the correct number. However, even that simple patch clogs
my CPU when setting it to 1e-06, which actually means 'send a billion
bangs per second'.

Roman