[PD] maximum "control rate" in Pd

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 10:47:00 CET 2015

On Fri, 2015-03-13 at 04:51 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:

> I'm aware that CPU can choke on an absurdly fast control rate.
> Nonetheless, the concern and question is not to how much the CPU can
> take, but how small a period of time Pd could consistently and
> steadily send messages. To make it simple, the smallest time an object
> like [metro] is able to operate.

In practice, it seems that the smallest time interval measurable by
[timer] is dependent on how long you have Pd running. Attached is a
patch that sends two bangs with an interval of 6.8e-11 every second. It
seems that the first 1217 seconds you get a non-zero result from [timer]
(though the result changes during the first few seconds). After 1218
seconds of running Pd, [timer] measures 0.

To give your question again a different answer, it seems that there is
no absolute minimum time interval in Pd, but it increases over time of
running Pd.

Roman

p.s.: Make sure to open the patch right away like this:
 pd -open shortest_time_intervall.pd
if you intend to get consistent results with the numbers above.