[PD] Gem on Raspberry pi 2

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Tue Mar 17 15:50:44 CET 2015

it's not only openGL-ES, openGL 3.0 also depreciate the glBegin / glEnd loop.

I've got the impression that it's not a big deal for software compatible with opengl 3 or 4 to be compatible with openGL ES
and being compatible with recent openGL version is important since lot's of new shader are available.

in the future, most primitives will have to be rewrited and then, they also be compatible with openGLES.
or maybe they could just be ignored...

anyhow, would it be easy to build a GemES where all primitive using glbegin / glEnd would be removed?
as long as gemvertexbuffer and shader are available, lot's of things can be done...

what i currently dreaming of is :
if openGL available version is > 3 : adding a message to gemwin to specify the openGL version used to create the context. (this is possible since openGL remove functionalities in newer version)
if a context is created with a openGL > 3, or openGL-ES, then drop support for all primitive that are not compatible.
and add new object for new functionalities...

then, object like cube / circle etc could be ported as abstractions

so, my point is : if the only problem for porting Gem to openGL-ES is the primitives, then we should port Gem without primitives...

cheers