[PD] For sample players based on [line~], [vline~], or [phasor~], how can we be sure all samples are being played?

Reed Perkins reedperkins32 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 17:57:10 CET 2015

Hello all,

[line~], [vline~], and [phasor~] are used to generate line ramps in basic
sample-playback patches. The output of these objects is usually multiplied
by the total number of samples in a sound file (that has already been
loaded into an array or table) and fed into the input of something like
[tabread4~]. In other words, we use these line-ramp objects to traverse the
indices of a table where a sample is loaded at a given speed.

My questions are these:

1. Do these line-ramps generate enough numbers such that every sample in a
table will be read?

2. Does it matter if, say for example, [tabread4~] receives a decimal
number for an index, like 333987.8, which can be caused by multiplying the
output of [phasor~] (which goes from 0-1) by the total amount of samples
(usually a much larger number).

3. Does the output of [line~] and [vline~] vary due to being asked to
generate a ramp faster or slower? If I ask [line~] to go from 0-555987 in
3789 milliseconds, will the actual output be the same or different if I
then ask [line~] to go from 0-9876545 in 40 milliseconds

I realize this is totally theoretical, because in all honestly I wouldn't
be able to hear a difference if samples are being skipped, but I want to
know :)

Thanks for your time.