[PD] route large number of voices

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Mar 29 15:44:11 CEST 2015

On 03/29/2015 03:14 PM, Benoit Fortier wrote:
> One question out of curiosity IOhannes : I thought of your solution but it felt to me like there was something wrong with it because it uselessly sends data to many many voices. Is my feeling justified in any way, or should I just chill out?

this really depends.
i personally favour approaches where "voices" are as autonomous as
possible. that is, you don't need to split the implementation of the
voice assignment stuff into both the "voice" and the "orchestra" (the
containing patch).

my solution might be slightly less performant, but in reality i wouldn't
expect any problems with todays hardware (we are talking about 100+
voices on a 2.5GHz mobile phone; if you manage to eat your CPU cycles,
than it's most likely not because of excessive use of send/route).

and really using per-voice send-labels has its drawbacks as well
(cluttering the symbol table; does a global broadcast of the message
just like the other solution (but fewer listeners)).

so i would say: in practice, your feeling is not really justified.

gfmdsar
IOhannes