[PD] working simultaneously on the same patch from two different places in the universe....

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 02:31:31 CEST 2015

Well, I don't know the code guts, but it seems we should be able to
consider the PD editor window and the patching engine separately.

Once we do that, it is easy to imagine various ways that the window can be
replicated in multiple places. X Windows for example. (Yes, there could be
UI conflicts as Jonathan mentioned)

In fact, there're Tk/TCL apps called kibitz and xkibits which do this.

I am clueless about how PD uses Tk/TCL to manage windows, so I don't know
how feasible this would be.

But it seems like I see Wish running when I run PD, so it might not be that
difficult.

BH

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list <
pd-list at lists.iem.at> wrote:
> I believe somebody did work on a system that allowed multi-user patch
editing.  Hopefully someone else on the list has a link.
> The difficulty is that Pd's code assumes the input is coming from a
single user.  There's no way for the input methods to differentiate input
from separate users.  And even if you fixed that, things like dragging
array points happen by setting _global_ variables for callbacks.  So if you
drag on one array while I happen to be dragging on another (or doing
anything else for that matter), we'll end up messing with each other's
interaction with the patch.
> -Jonathan
>

> On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 6:59 PM, jamal crawford <threen52 at ml1.net>
wrote:

> hey list
>
> ....without restarting pd or the patch.
> theoretical reality or dream?
>
> best regs
> ~/.jc

May you, and all beings
be happy and free from suffering :)
-- ancient Buddhist Prayer (Metta)

Don't forget to sign the

*Pledge to Resist*

*the Constitution Pipeline:*

   - *The Pledge: TinyURL.com/Pledge2ResistCP
   <http://TinyURL.com/Pledge2ResistCP>*
   - *More info: TinyURL.com/Pledge2ResistCP1
   <http://TinyURL.com/Pledge2ResistCP1>*