[PD] How to navigate a long sound file in vanilla PD

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 06:05:21 CEST 2015

Wow, I just want to say while I appreciate the link to
B16.long-varispeed.pd, that's some gnarly code :)

I sort-of get the principle,
but no idea how this works.

This will keep me busy. I image I will have to study the
source code to understand the 4-point interpolation of tabread4~.
I am looking forward to this study!

When I understand this long-table patch,
the Phase Vocoder, and Martin Brinkmann's Chaosmonster,
then I feel I will move into "advanced" PD status :)

PS: I am very grateful to Miller for PD,
and to all of the helpful people in this amazing community!
This is most fun with computers I've had in many years!
(and I'm an old-timer).

BH in Binghamton NY, USA

PS/OT:

I have been always hacking with audio. Stated doing
sound-on-sound reverb and tape loops with by brother's
Marantz reel-to-reel deck when I was about 12 y/o.
(He would have killed me had he known!)

To give you an idea, this was my first computer:
*http://tinyurl.com/8mq9nyw <http://tinyurl.com/8mq9nyw>*
4k of RAM, monochrome, no disk drive, and *no lower case*.

I wrote a hack in BASIC to read/write the cassette port and
do PWM to sample and playback human speech and make tones.
We didn't have 24-bit audio, not 16-bit, or even 8 bit audio.

*We had glorious 1-bit audio! On/off.*

*This is what I've been through. *

*Still we were able to make amazing sounds with it!*

*To have PD now is fulfilling a dream I've been having for 35 years! *