[PD] get data from mp3 files

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 19:07:08 CEST 2015

On Sam, 2015-04-04 at 13:23 +0200, João Pais wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I couldn't find an answer for this, so I doubt there is one: I have 100s
> of mp3 files, from which I needed to extract data - namely name, and
> duration. As I can tell, there isn't any object that does this, e.g. like
> [ext13/wavinfo] (hopefully I'm wrong).
> Does anyone has an elegant solution for this? Or I guess I could get the
> elements using an other program and save them as .txt files, but it would
> be much more interesting to do it inside Pd.
>
> System: Pd-Ext, W7.

There is [readanysf~ ] that gives you the correct length of an mp3, but
I don't know about its availability on Windows.

I found the exiftool the best tool suited for this task. Google tells
me, it is even available as a Windows binary. It determines the length
correctly, no matter whether compressed as vbr or cbr.

Roman