[PD] [OT]: Gitorious closing down.. alternatives, suggetions, experiences

Rafael Vega email.rafa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 16 17:36:47 CEST 2015

Github will give your projects a bit of visibility. Search engines seem to
put GH results near the top... Also, they have a nice web gui for pull
requests. On the flip side, git is a distributed system but we're all
putting our repos on a single host (github). A single point of failure...

I have all my public stuff on github and my private stuff on a git repo on
my web host.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 9:42 AM, Dan Wilcox <danomatika at gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree. As with any Git repo, you should be able to create a new empty
> one, then add it as a remote on your local machine, and push to it. Commit
> history etc will all go there. The migration tool is probably for wiki,
> user access, etc info not actually related to Git itself.
>
> Also, to answer "Just use GitHub which 'everyone else' (TM) uses and
> forget it?” Yes, basically. But you don’t have to, it just seems finding
> projects there is easier. I think 2010 was around the last time I visited
> Gitorious. As the whole PR system is very nice. I have all my open source
> stuff there and a private Git setup on my webhost. I don’t pay for their
> private repos.
>
> --------
> Dan Wilcox
> @danomatika
> danomatika.com
> robotcowboy.com
>
> On Apr 16, 2015, at 10:30 AM, pd-list-request at lists.iem.at wrote:
>
> *From: *phil jones <interstar at gmail.com>
> *Subject: **Re: [PD] [OT]: Gitorious closing down.. alternatives,
> suggetions, experiences*
> *Date: *April 16, 2015 at 10:30:31 AM EDT
> *To: *Lorenzo Sutton <lorenzofsutton at gmail.com>
> *Cc: *pd-list at lists.iem.at
>

> Lorenzo,
>
> If you don't try to use the migration tool and just clone to a local
> repository and then clone back into your new host, does that also mess up
> the history?
>
> Surely git by itself doesn't screw up.
>
> Phil

Rafael Vega