[PD] Installing pyata

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Apr 19 21:40:15 CEST 2015

i've never used pyata, but anyhow:

On 04/19/2015 11:45 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:
> Reading this page https://code.google.com/p/pyata/wiki/How_To_Install I'm
> trying to install the Pd module in Python to use Pyata, with no luck.
>
> At step 2 - configure, it says "1. among the downloaded files, you'll find
> "config.properties" file. open it."
>
> I have a properties.config file, but I guess it's no big deal.

according to the sources, this is indeed a typo in the documentation.

>  But running one of the examples (clock.py) I get this:
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "clock.py", line 13, in <module>
>     from Pd import *
> ImportError: No module named Pd

this means that python cannot find the "Pd" python-module.
it is unrelated to the PD_DIR setting (which will become important
later, once the module has been initialized correctly).

the problem most likely comes from the fact, that the "Pd.py" is hidden
away in the "src" folder.
as the docs mention "you will not really install pyata, but just use its
source in your program". i guess this means that you should copy the
*contents* of "src" to your project dir (rather than copying the "src/"
folder itself).

> I also tried to set the PD_DIR variable
> "/Applications/Pd-0.46-4.app/Contents/Resources/bin/" which also doesn't

most likely this is the correct value for PD_DIR (as the other value
(ending in '/pd') is not a directory at all).

> work.
> What do I have to do to install the module in Python properly?

gfmsdr
IOhannes