[PD] utf8 over tcp

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Apr 19 21:46:12 CEST 2015

On 04/19/2015 06:55 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> Hi list,
>      Can utf8 data for a single utf8 character get split across a tcp
> buffer?
>
> From what I understand the answer must be yes, and I should check for
> incomplete utf8 data on the GUI at the end of the buffer. However I'm
> not doing that atm, and I can't trigger any errors (like copy pasting
> 500 messages with a utf8 snowman in them).  I get perfect snowmen every
> time.

since TCP/IP is totally packet agnostic, thou shalt not rely on it's
packetizing capabilities.
if your receiver emits packets the same as you sent them, then you were
merely lucky.

with TCP/IP you need a application-layer packetizing mechanism,
in FUDI this is the famous ";".
iirc, in more popular protocols (like HTTP, SMTP, FTP) it is usually CRLF.

gfmasrd
IOhannes