[PD] Gem: mpeg vs mpeg-3

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sun Apr 19 22:08:17 CEST 2015

* IOhannes zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> [2015-04-19 02:52]:
> Am 18. April 2015 21:30:20 MESZ, schrieb "Peter P." <peterparker at fastmail.com>:
> >
> >mpeg3video_seek: frame accurate seeking without a table of contents
> >is no longer supported.  Use mpeg3toc <mpeg file> <table of contents>
> >to generate a table of contents and load the table of contents instead.
> >
> >what to do?
>
> How about "Use mpeg3toc <mpeg file> <table of contents>" ?
Yes, of course everyone could do that. But why is Gem no longer able to
play alea.mpg by default, and wouldn't it make more sense to mpeg3toc
the file alea.mpg in git already? I assume more users with limited
knowledge would come up with similar questions eventually.

I am still wondering which library to install on Debian in order to have
"mpeg" support in Gem, and if that would have any effect (or if it is
deprecated).

Thanks for your help!