[PD] utf8 over tcp

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 19 22:45:20 CEST 2015

On 04/19/2015 03:46 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 04/19/2015 06:55 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>       Can utf8 data for a single utf8 character get split across a tcp
>> buffer?
>>
>>  From what I understand the answer must be yes, and I should check for
>> incomplete utf8 data on the GUI at the end of the buffer. However I'm
>> not doing that atm, and I can't trigger any errors (like copy pasting
>> 500 messages with a utf8 snowman in them).  I get perfect snowmen every
>> time.
> since TCP/IP is totally packet agnostic, thou shalt not rely on it's
> packetizing capabilities.
> if your receiver emits packets the same as you sent them, then you were
> merely lucky.

Thanks.  There's a string-decoder lib that puts a buffer's extra "tail"
bytes
in a separate bin so they can be prepended to the next buffer.  That
sounds like
the way to go.

I wonder if localhost is doing optimizations that make the problem
unlikely to happen.

> with TCP/IP you need a application-layer packetizing mechanism,
> in FUDI this is the famous ";".

Right, but one can easily lose data before that part of the algorithm
happens.  Node's Buffer API makes this extremely easy to do.  The
string-decoder lib makes it easy to remedy, though.

-Jonathan