[PD] utf8 over tcp

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Apr 20 10:05:40 CEST 2015

On 2015-04-19 22:45, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> On 04/19/2015 03:46 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
>> since TCP/IP is totally packet agnostic, thou shalt not rely on it's
>> packetizing capabilities.
>> if your receiver emits packets the same as you sent them, then you were
>> merely lucky.
>
> Thanks.  There's a string-decoder lib that puts a buffer's extra "tail"
> bytes
> in a separate bin so they can be prepended to the next buffer.  That
> sounds like
> the way to go.

any packetizing token ('"tail" bytes') needs to be excluded from or
within from the actual payload.

> I wonder if localhost is doing optimizations that make the problem
> unlikely to happen.

do not trust it.
much broken multithreaded code used to work fine on single-core
machines, because the single-threaded architecture made some problems
unlikely to happen. and then we got multiple cores...
(admittedly, this story is entirely made up by me; but there is no
reason why it should not not true)

> Right, but one can easily lose data before that part of the algorithm
> happens.  Node's Buffer API makes this extremely easy to do.  The
> string-decoder lib makes it easy to remedy, though.

if you "can easily lose data" over your TCP/IP connection then something
is seriously wrong with your setup.

(but anyhow, i don't know the actual problem you are working on, and i
assumed that it is about your gui-rewrite. i'm nitpicky to make you
avoid putting too much (== any) code depending on node.js features into
the Pd-core side. but you are most likely aware of that anyhow)

fgmasdr
IOhannes