[PD] audio bit resolution in Pd

Cyrille Henry ch at chnry.net
Thu Apr 23 17:20:51 CEST 2015

Le 23/04/2015 16:41, Alexandre Torres Porres a écrit :
> Yep, nice indeed, I guess I learned - in short and in layman's undetailed terms - that audio output is ~24bits (a bit higher, but much higher for smaller numbers).
>
> Moreover, digital audio cards won't likely have more than 24 bit precision for many years to come, so it's just way more than enough.
The human ear is usually consider to be sensible from 0dB to 120dB, so a range of 10^(12/2) between the smallest and biggest amplitude.
i.e from 1 to 1 000 000, or from 1 to 2^13.8
so, the human ear sensitivity can be considered to be about 14 bits.
16 bits diffusion should be enough.
24 bits diffusion is already overkill.

cheers