[PD] pd + homebrew + caskroom

me.grimm megrimm at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 19:04:04 CEST 2015

Hi list,

I was messing around with homebrew/caskroom this morning and got some
externals to install in addition to pd-vanilla which i think is pretty cool
and maybe a good way forward for OSX users. I believe this was originally
proposed a few months ago (by max?) but i couldn't find the thread. Anyway
I wanted to try it out so:

install homebrew
install caskroom

$ brew tap megrimm/homebrew-pd
$ brew cask install pd
$ brew cask install pd-filterview pd-gem pd-soundhack ....etc

pd is symlinked at /Applications or ~/Applications depending on how you set
caskroom up.

externals are staged at /opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom (default staging) and
symlinked to
 /opt/homebrew-cask/Caskroom/pd/0.46-6/Pd-0.46-6.app/Contents/Resources/extra

this is the easiest way I could think of to install externals. i was
originally thinking the externals could just be staged in "extra" but then
thought it might be overcomplicating things.

I was also looking into trying to figure out how to compile an external
using caskroom from source (hence the blank pd-zexy.rd) but I have yet to
find a solution or an example that would be helpful. Right now all
externals are installed from pre-compiled binaries.

BTW I did manage to get Pd into the official caskroom but I believe I
jumped the gun being more interested in learning how to contribute rather
than making sure the ruby script was correct. Right now the official
caskroom Pd is 64bit symlinked as Pd-0.46-64bit.app and my tap
(megrimm/homebrew-pd) is 32bit symlinked just as Pd. I also removed the
postflight stuff i had which just came from the pd-extended cask and I
thought might not be necessary (?)... i know a little confusing.
Suggestions?

Any thoughts? Interest in this? If anyone likes this idea and wants to help
just fork away!