[PD] help patch translations

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 04:42:37 CEST 2015

On 04/29/2015 07:16 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Hi Jonathan -
>
> I confess I don't have any idea how what you're describing is possible... but
> then I've seen people do plenty of stuff I wouldn't have thought possible in
> Pd before :)

A help patch would have the following structure:

[header]
[canvas]
[footer]

The header and footer hold text that can reflow like a webpage can (or like
Pd's printout window).  That's where one would display the translated text
for the help patch.  This way it doesn't matter how much space the
translated
text takes up, because it is displayed above or below the canvas proper.

The content of the translation is in separate files-- one for each language.
So when you have a help patch, Pd checks if there's a language file for the
current locale.  If there is, it uses it to populate the header and
footer.  (Additionally,
if there's a symbol to be displayed as an iemgui label it is dispatched
to Pd.)

At least in the GUI port I'm working on, the cost to a patch window is
literally two <div> elements which remain un-rendered unless there's
translation
data.  I guess the question is whether to do this purely on the GUI
side, in which
case the Pd engine wouldn't be affected at all.

(Having just written that last sentence, I think the answer is yes. :)

The potential downside I see to this approach is that if patch authors want
to make their help patches ready for i18n from the outset, they must have at
least two source files-- one for the Pd patch, and one with the
header/footer
data.  But the alternative would be stuffing all languages into a single
patch,
which would guarantee a load-time impact if internationalization is
successful.

-Jonathan

> Anyhow, I think can pass around arbitrary character strings in FUDI by
> encoding them as lists of numbers and using [list tosymbol].

Thanks, I forgot about that object.  That would certainly work, but at the
cost of making the translation data unreadable.

> I think it would be very hard to somehow change the textual names of objects
> and messages in Pd...

Or maybe just a handful of gop abstractions with an imoji on them. The
minimum
number to be turing complete, then see what happens...

-Jonathan