[PD] help patch translations

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri May 1 03:18:13 CEST 2015

On 04/30/2015 04:55 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2015-04-30 00:53, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
>> Oh, and a general question:
>>
>> Is there any sensible way to translate creator names and/or method names?

Actually, let me back up...

I'm very interested to know the cost of having English object/method names
to Pd users who aren't native speakers.  I'm especially interested to
hear about
the cost of English object/method names when teaching someone Pd who doesn't
speak or read English at all.

In short-- if it's a hindrance, I think I may have a way to do i18n for
object names
that doesn't impact Pd's performance in any significant way.

If, on the other hand, they aren't actually that big an obstacle, then
maybe the
point is moot.

Does anyone have experience with non-native or non-English speaking students
that would shed some light on this?

>> If I were trying to use software translated from another language, I'd
>> definitely want that feature.
> are you really talking about translating the *language* of Pd? [1]

Possibly, but almost certainly not in the way you mean it.

> if i were a programmer, i would be very surprised (and probably not
> amused) if my C-code showed up in German or hindi.

I'm interested in internationalization, which I know is a broad topic.
But I can say if your C-code shows up in a different language, and
you cannot simply click a button or set a flag to change it back, you
most certainly are witnessing localization that is not part of
a (workable) i18n system.

I'm not interested in ad hoc or piecemeal localization efforts.

> otoh, i *did* do some experiments with translated objects a while ago
> for a performance in the spirit of "patching in tongues" (as matju had
> once put it).

If this was part of an i18n effort, could you describe your i18n system?

-Jonathan